New Trends in Ultrasound-Guided Musculoskeletal Injuries Approaches
Review Article | Volume 1 | Issue 1 | JRS December 2021 | Page 30-34 | Bernáldez Domínguez Pedro, Dallo Lazzarini Ignacio. DOI: 10.13107/jrs.2021.v01.i01.017
Author: Bernáldez Domínguez Pedro , Dallo Lazzarini Ignacio 
 Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine, SportMe Medical Center, Unit of Biological Therapies, Seville, Spain.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Bernáldez Domínguez Pedro, MD
Tabladilla, 2, 41013, Seville, Spain.
The ultrasound not only allows us to diagnose musculoskeletal injuries but is also a fantastic tool to assist us when performing different therapies on the tissues. Multiple studies compare the classic blind versus ultrasound-guided infiltrations, with a significant difference in the results. In this article, we present the different indications for ultrasound-guided therapies, including ultrasound-guided local infiltration, percutaneous needle tenotomy, intracapsular hydrodilatation, hydrodissection, high-volume injection, percutaneous needle scraping and ultrasound-guided surgery (EAS). We describe the techniques, their advantages, and disadvantages, as well as possible complications. These procedures require a good learning curve, but once achieved, it will allow us to use them to obtain good clinical results, and in many cases avoiding the operating room. We have included these therapies in the so-called “SUBA Protocol” that includes the application of the concepts of modern Sports trauma, the use of musculoskeletal Ultrasounds, consider Biological therapies as one more tool in the therapeutic arsenal, and finally, the use of Arthroscopic surgeries, minimally invasive procedures with minor tissue damage.
Keywords: Musculoskeletal ultrasound, Ultrasound-guided therapies, Percutaneous needle tenotomy, Intracapsular hydrodilatation,
Hydrodissection, Percutaneous needle scraping, Ultrasound-guided surgery, SUBA protocol.
1. Domínguez B, Martos TA. El ecógrafo: El fonendo del Traumatólogo: Utilidad diagnostica y terapéutica. Rev S Traum Ort 2017;34:17-26.
2. De Zordo T, Lill SR, Fink C, Feuchtner GM, Jaschke W, Bellmann-Weiler R, et al. Real-time sonoelastography of lateral epicondylitis: Comparison of findings between patients and healthy volunteers. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2009;193:180-5.
3. Nazarian LN. The top 10 reasons musculoskeletal sonography is an important complementary or alternative technique to MRI. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2008;190:1621-6.
4. Daley EL, Bajaj S, Bisson LJ, Cole BJ. Improving injection accuracy of the elbow, knee, and shoulder: Does injection site and imaging make a difference? A systematic review. Am J Sports Med 2011;39:656-62.
5. Daniels EW, Cole D, Jacobs B, Phillips SF. Existing evidence on ultrasound-guided injections in sports medicine. Orthop J Sports Med 2018;6:2325967118756576.
6. Peck E, Jelsing E, Onishi K. Advanced ultrasound-guided interventions for tendinopathy. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 2016;27:733-48.
7. Hall MM, Rajasekaran S. Ultrasound-guided scraping for chronic patellar tendinopathy: A case presentation. PM R 2016;8:593-6.
8. Patel R, Urits I, Wolf J, Murthy A, Cornett EM, Jones MR, et al. A comprehensive update of adhesive capsulitis and minimally invasive treatment options. Psychopharmacol Bull 2020;50 4 Suppl 1:91-107.
9. Lam KH, Hung CY, Chiang YP, Onishi K, Su DC, Clark TB, et al. Ultrasound-guided nerve hydrodissection for pain management: rationale, methods, current literature, and theoretical mechanisms. J Pain Res 2020;13:1957-68..
10. Boesen AP, Hansen R, Boesen MI, Malliaras P, Langberg H. Effect of high-volume injection, platelet-rich plasma, and sham treatment in chronic midportion achilles tendinopathy: A randomized double-blinded prospective study. Am J Sports Med 2017;45:2034-43.
11. Tafti D, Byerly DW. Ultrasound Guided Barbotage. Treasure Island, FL: StatPearls Publishing; 2021.
12. Henning PT, Yang L, Awan T, Lueders D, Pourcho AM. Minimally invasive ultrasound-guided carpal tunnel release: Preliminary clinical results. J Ultrasound Med 2018;37:2699-706.
13. Gao L, Madry H, Chugaev DV, Denti M, Frolov A, Burtsev M, et al. Advances in modern osteotomies around the knee: Report on the association of sports traumatology, arthroscopy, orthopaedic surgery, rehabilitation (ASTAOR) Moscow International Osteotomy Congress 2017. J Exp Orthop 2019;6:9.
14. Sabeti-Aschraf M, Lemmerhofer B, Lang S, Schmidt M, Funovics PT, Ziai P, et al. Ultrasound guidance improves the accuracy of the acromioclavicular joint infiltration: A prospective randomized study. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2011;19:292-5.
15. Berkoff DJ, Miller LE, Block JE. Clinical utility of ultrasound guidance for intra-articular knee injections: A review. Clin Interv Aging 2012;7:89-95.
16. Aly AR, Rajasekaran S, Ashworth N. Ultrasound-guided shoulder girdle injections are more accurate and more effective than landmark-guided injections: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Sports Med 2015;49:1042-9.
17. Wu T, Song HX, Dong Y, Li JH. Ultrasound-guided versus blind subacromial-subdeltoid bursa injection in adults with shoulder pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2015;45:374-8.
18.Hoeber S, Aly AR, Ashworth N, Rajasekaran S. Ultrasound-guided hip joint injections are more accurate than landmark-guided injections: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Sports Med 2016;50:392-6.
19. Domínguez MP. Bridging the Gap between Surgical and Conservative Treatment. The SUBA Protocol (Sports, Ultrasound, Biologics, Arthroscopy). TOBI (The Orthobiologic Institute) Conference; 2021.
|How to Cite this article: Pedro BD, Ignacio DL | New Trends in Ultrasound-Guided Musculoskeletal Injuries Approaches. | Journal of Regenerative Science | Dec 2021; 1(1): 30-34.|
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!