Review Article | Volume 3 | Issue 1 | JRS Jun – June 2023 | Page 18-21 | Achim M. Loske
Author: Achim M. Loske
 Centro de Física Aplicada y Tecnología Avanzada, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Juriquilla, Querétaro, México.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Achim M Loske,
Centro de Física Aplicada y Tecnología Avanzada, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México,
Blvd. Juriquilla 3001, Querétaro, Qro., 76230 México.
The popularity of extracorporeal shock wave therapy to treat a large variety of medical conditions is indisputable. Despite this, sometimes poor results are obtained, and mild to severe complications have been reported. In most cases, wrong information and lack of training are responsible for this. The objective of this article is to explain the potential danger of using shock waves and radial pressure waves, as well as the reasons why, from the point of view of physics, sometimes the outcome is not as expected.
Keywords: Extracorporeal shock wave therapy, Shock waves, Radial pressure waves, Interaction with matter, Acoustic cavitation.
- International Society for Medical Shockwave Therapy. Introduction and Prerequisites and Minimal Standards of Performing ESWT. Available from: https://www.shockwavetherapy.org/about-eswt/indications
- Novak KF. Physics: F-SW and R-SW. Basic information on focused and radial shock wave physics. In: Lohrer H, Gerdesmeyer L, editors. Multisdisciplinary Medical Applications. Heilbronn, Germany: Level 10 Buchverlag Daniela Bamberg; 2014.
- Philipp A, Delius M, Scheffczyk C, Vogel A, Lauterborn W. Interaction of lithotripter-generated shock waves with air bubbles. J Acoust Soc Am 1993;93:2496-509.
- Coralic V. Simulation of Shock-induced Bubble Collapse with Application to Vascular Injury in Shockwave Lithotripsy. Dissertation. Pasadena, CA, USA: California Institute of Technology; 2014.
- Ueberle F, Jamshidi Rad A. Ballistic pain therapy devices: Measurement of pressure pulse parameters. Biomed Eng/Biomed Tech 2012;57:700-3.
|How to Cite this article: Loske AM. In the Garden of Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy, Not Everything is Roses. | Journal of Regenerative Science | Jan – June 2023; 3(1): 18-21.|