Fundamentals of the Treatment of Male Erectile Dysfunctions with Low Intensity Shockwaves
Review Article | Volume 1 | Issue 1 | JRS December 2021 | Page 26-29 | César Eisner, Mauricio Salas, Daniel Moya. DOI: 10.13107/jrs.2021.v01.i01.015
Author: César Eisner , Mauricio Salas , Daniel Moya 
 Shockwave Argentina, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
 Clínica Instituto de Urología y Sexología, Santiago de Chile, Chile.
 Department of Orthopaedics, Servicio de Ortopedia y Traumatología, Hospital Británico de Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. César Eisner, MD
Shockwave Argentina, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
E-mail: : firstname.lastname@example.org
Male erectile dysfunction (ED) is one of the most common problems among men worldwide. No single diagnostic method evaluates all the
variables of this complex condition. To achieve good therapeutic results, it is essential to base the treatment on an accurate diagnosis. Hemodynamic exploration by echo Doppler of the cavernous arteries, especially since the incorporation of intracavernous administration of vasoactive drugs, is a useful tool that allows the evaluation of erectile dysfunction in the arterial phase. It is also considered to be the choice in the assessment of the corporoveno-occlusive mechanism. Different treatment methods are used, being PDE5 (sildenafil and tadalafil), the treatment of the first choice in several conditions. The number of publications of low-intensity extracorporeal shockwave treatment (LI-ESWT) for ED has increased dramatically in recent years. Scientific evidence regarding the application of LI-ESWT for the treatment of erectile dysfunction is still controversial. Inclusion criteria of the studies and the wide variety of treatment protocols have been criticized. On the other hand, most of these studies report encouraging results with no short-term adverse effects, regardless of variation in LI-ESWT setup parameters or treatment protocols.
Keywords: Erectile dysfunction, Linear shock wave, Linear shock wave therapy, Shear wave elastography.
1. Porst H. Review of the current status of low intensity extracorporeal shockwave therapy (Li-ESWT) in erectile dysfunction (ED), Peyronie’s disease (PD), and sexual rehabilitation after radical prostatectomy with special focus on technical aspects of the different marketed ESWT devices including personal experiences in 350 patients. Sex Med Rev 2021;9:93-122.
2. Clavijo RI, Kohn TP, Kohn JR, Ramasamy R. Effects of low-intensity extracorporeal shockwave therapy on erectile dysfunction: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Sex Med 2017;14:27-35.
3. Dong L, Chang D, Zhang X, Li J, Yang F, Tan K, et al. Effect of low-intensity extracorporeal shock wave on the treatment of erectile dysfunction: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Mens Health 2019;13:1557988319846749.
4. Lu Z, Lin G, Reed-Maldonado A, Wang C, Lee YC, Lue TF. Low-intensity extracorporeal shock wave treatment improves erectile function: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Urol 2017;71:223-33.
5. Mo DS, Zhan XX, Shi HW, Cai HC, Meng J, Zhao J, et al. Efficacy and safety of low-intensity extracorporeal shock wave therapy in the treatment of ED: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 2019;25:257-64.
6. Consensus Statement on ESWT Indications and Contraindications. Available from: https://www.shockwavetherapy.org/fileadmin/user_upload/dokumente/PDFs/Formulare/ISMST_consensus_statement_on_indications_and_contraindications_20161012_final.pdf [Last accessed on 2021 Oct 11].
7. Ondas de Choque en Medicina: La Nueva Frontera. Available from: https://onlat.net/?page_id=2491 [Last accessed on 2021 Oct 11].
8. Kessler A, Sollie S, Challacombe B, Briggs K, Van Hemelrijck M. The global prevalence of erectile dysfunction: A review. BJU Int 2019. Doi: 10.1111/bju.14813 Epub Ahead of Print.
9. Melman A, Rehman J. Pathophysiology of erectile dysfunction. Mol Urol 1999;3:87-102.
10. Jønler M, Moon T, Brannan W, Stone NN, Heisey D, Bruskewitz RC. The effect of age, ethnicity and geographical location on impotence and quality of life. Br J Urol 1995;75:651-5.
11. Huang SA, Lie JD. Phosphodiesterase-5 (PDE5) inhibitors in the management of erectile dysfunction. P T 2013;38:407-19.
12. Krzastek SC, Bopp J, Smith RP, Kovac JR. Recent advances in the understanding and management of erectile dysfunction. F1000Res. 2019;8:F1000 Faculty Rev-102.
13. Sokolakis I, Dimitriadis F, Psalla D, Karakiulakis G, Kalyvianakis D, Hatzichristou D. Effects of low-intensity shock wave therapy (LiST) on the erectile tissue of naturally aged rats. Int J Impot Res 2019;31:162-9.
14. Liu T, Shindel AW, Lin G, Lue TF. Cellular signaling pathways modulated by low-intensity extracorporeal shock wave therapy. Int J Impot Res 2019;31:170-6.
15. d’Agostino MC, Craig K, Tibalt E, Respizzi S. Shock wave as biological therapeutic tool: From mechanical stimulation to recovery and healing, through mechanotransduction. Int J Surg 2015;24 Pt B:147-53.
16. Moya D, Ramón S, Schaden W, Wang CJ, Guiloff L, Cheng JH. The role of extracorporeal shockwave treatment in musculoskeletal disorders. J Bone Joint Surg 2018;100:251-63.
17. Wang CJ. An overview of shock wave therapy in musculoskeletal disorders. Chang Gung Med J 2003;26:220-32.
18. Qiu X, Lin G, Xin Z, Ferretti L, Zhang H, Lue TF, et al. Effects of low-energy shockwave therapy on the erectile function and tissue of a diabetic rat model. J Sex Med 2013;10:738-46.
19. Rizk PJ, Krieger JR, Kohn TP, Pastuszak AW. Low-intensity shockwave therapy for erectile dysfunction. Sex Med Rev 2018;6:624-30.
20. Katz JE, Clavijo RI, Rizk P, Ramasamy R. The basic physics of waves, soundwaves, and shockwaves for erectile dysfunction. Sex Med Rev 2020;8:100-5.
21. Yee CH, Chan ES, Hou SS, Ng CF. Extracorporeal shockwave therapy in the treatment of erectile dysfunction: A prospective, randomized, double-blinded, placebo controlled study. Int J Urol 2014;21:1041-5.
22. Kalyvianakis D, Hatzichristou D. Low-intensity shockwave therapy improves hemodynamic parameters in patients with vasculogenic erectile dysfunction: A triplex ultrasonography-based sham-controlled trial. J Sex Med 2017;14:891-7.
23. Fojecki GL, Tiessen S, Osther PJ. Effect of low-energy linear shockwave therapy on erectile dysfunction-a double-blinded, sham-controlled, randomized clinical trial. J Sex Med 2017;14:106-12.
24. Olsen AB, Persiani M, Boie S, Hanna M, Lund L. Can low-intensity extracorporeal shockwave therapy improve erectile dysfunction? A prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Scand J Urol 2015;49:329-33.
25. Vardi Y, Appel B, Kilchevsky A, Gruenwald I. Does low intensity extracorporeal shock wave therapy have a physiological effect on erectile function? Short-term results of a randomized, double-blind, sham controlled study. J Urol 2012;187:1769-75.
26. Pelayo-Nieto M, Linden-Castro E, Alias-Melgar A, Espinosa-Pérez Grovas D, Carreño-de la Rosa F, Bertrand-Noriega F, et al. Linear shock wave therapy in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. Actas Urol Esp 2015;39:456-9.
27. Huang YP, Liu W, Liu YD, Zhang M, Xu SR, Lu MJ. Effect of low-intensity extracorporeal shockwave therapy on nocturnal penile tumescence and rigidity and penile haemodynamics. Andrologia 2020;52:e13745.
28. Domes T, Najafabadi BT, Roberts M, Campbell J, Flannigan R, Bach P, et al. Canadian urological association guideline: Erectile dysfunction. Can Urol Assoc J 2021;15:310-22.
29. Burnett AL, Nehra A, Breau RH, Culkin DJ, Faraday MM, Hakim LS, et al. Erectile dysfunction: AUA guideline. J Urol 2018;200:633-41.
30. Hackett G, Kirby M, Wylie K, Heald A, Ossei-Gerning N, Edwards D, et al. British society for sexual medicine guidelines on the management of erectile dysfunction in men-2017. J Sex Med 2018;15:430-57.
31. Hatzimouratidis K, Giuliano F, Moncada I, Muneer A, Salonia A, Verze P. EAU Guidelines on Erectile Dysfunction, Premature Ejaculation, Penile Curvature and Priapism. European Association of Urology; 2019. p. 23. Available from: https://uroweb.org/wp-content/uploads/EAU-guidelines-on-male-sexual-dysfunction-2019.pdf [Last accessed on 2021 Oct 11].
|How to Cite this article: Eisner C, Salas M, Moya D | Fundamentals of the Treatment of Male Erectile Dysfunctions with Low Intensity Shockwaves. | Journal of Regenerative Science | Dec 2021; 1(1): 26-29.|
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!